In the 12th Century, the main part of the original church was built. The north doorway
and the small window to the right of it (as you look from the entrance porch) are
In the 13th Century, the main part of the original church was improved in the Early
English style. A picina, to hold Holy water (by the pulpit) was added, and the staircase
(above the organ console) was built to connect to the rood loft (from which minstrels
used to play).
Improvements in the Decorated style were added in the 14th Century. These were two
north and two south facing windows in the nave. Remember that we are talking about
the 1300’s, when no tower or chancel existed. The 15th Century Perpendicular style
followed, and this era saw the tower being constructed, the doorway (by which you
enter the church) being decorated with figures of Our Lady; representing her coronation
and the Holy water stoop being used. The font dates from this period. Note the
shields and scroll design, a local trademark.
The Tudor 16th Century saw the building on of the chancel, with large simple windows
above the main altar. The roof dates from 1547. The window by the pulpit was added
at this time.
The 17th Century saw the construction of the intricate Jacobean pulpit – a real treasure.
The 18th Century saw the first rebuilding of the tower, with a belfry, lattice windows
inserted and battlements added. The bells would have been rung during this period
and on into Victorian times, of course.
The 19th Century Victorian era saw much rebuilding of the nave floor. Perhaps, fortunately,
no stained glass windows were inserted.
The 20th Century has seen additional tower rebuilding work – the latest repair and
renovation having been completed in 1995, the addition of six wrought iron lanterns
in the nave and one in the porch: these were donated by public subscription in memory
of six children and their teacher, who died in a serious road accident.
The seating inside, under the organ pipes, has been altered recently to allow an
informal children’s area to be created.
And in the 21st Century we now have an extension on the north side of the church,
a small room for meetings and facilities for extending the work of this church into